A Pledge for Racial and Cultural Equity in Minnesota Media
For our Dec 8 Gathering for Media Justice event, CAAR and Main Street Project drafted “A Pledge for Racial and Cultural Equity in Minnesota Media” as well as the handout “Best Practices & Action Steps for Media.”
You can view the original drafts of the Pledge & Best Practices below.
For those that were not able to provide feedback at our Gathering, we welcome any comments you may have. The following questions are what we asked participants at the Gathering to discuss in small groups:
- What parts of the Pledge or Best Practices are the most powerful and stand out to you?
- What felt wrong or was missing from the Pledge or Best Practices?
- How would the Pledge improve your work or life? Support you at your organization or in your community?
- The Pledge is a living document for now – what type of process do you think would be most effective in editing this pledge/changing this document?
- In order to create racial and cultural equity in Minnesota media, it requires resources, training, expertise, education and financial resources. What ideas do you have on making training and education possible in a time of limited financial resources? No excuses – the time is now.
- In five years the Minnesota Media landscape will have changed in what ways because of the Pledge for Racial and Cultural Equity in Minnesota Media and Best Practices?
CAAR’s next steps include how to incorporate the great suggestions we’ve already received and the feedback from others in the future. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.