Join us on Dec 8 – Here’s What You Can Expect
Earlier this year on June 2, Community Action Against Racism (CAAR) and Main Street Project brought community members together to have a conversation on racism in the media. We explored the history of how racism has played out in the media, looked at current examples and discussed ways that we could take action. We are now inviting you to our follow-up community-wide event that we’re also partnering with KFAI 90.3/106.7 on, that will bring community members along with local media together to discuss how we want to do things better here in the Twin Cities when it comes to covering stories from communities of color. This is a free event for all community members and we welcome new people who want to learn about our organizations and want to get involved with media justice work.
A Gathering for Media Justice
Sat, December 8
10:00 am – 3:00pm (coffee & lunch included)
Hamline University in the Klas Center Building, in the Key Frederick’s Room which is on the 3rd floor of Klas (1537 W Taylor Avenue St. Paul, MN 55104). The Klas Center has a big glass front to the building is behind Drew Hall.
Free parking in Lot B off Hewitt Ave.
Our event will be conversation-based, allowing for a lot of time for folks to build connections with each other. We are also very excited to have Lissa Jones as our keynote speaker to start off the day. Lissa is the host of the local radio station, KMOJ’s (89.9FM) Urban Agenda segment. Get ready to be energized!
We are also really looking forward to having Chilli Lor perform a song at our event to end the day. Chilli is a community organizer, activist, spoken word artist, Bgirl, and hip hop artist. Get ready to be amazed by her talent!
This is a family-friendly event. We will be organizing child-friendly activities in part of the room so that community members can still participate and have something fun for their kids to do.
Here’s what the day will look like:
- 10:00 Welcome & Introductions
- 10:25 Keynote speaker
- 10:55 Icebreaker/Networking activity
- 11:30 Roundtable Discussions on Media Standards – experiences on what has worked and what hasn’t
- 12:30 Lunch break
- 1:00 Roundtable Discussions on Media Standards statement – we will bring a template for participants to react to & build upon
- 2:00 Small group report back
- 2:30 Closing & Performance
- 3:00 Adjourn
We hope that people will walk away with:
- Having built new and or stronger relationships with community members, allies and those in the media,
- Feeling they’ve contributed to a plan on how we increase the amount of responsible coverage on communities of color,
- Having been challenged or reminded of the larger systems of racism and power in the media
- Having resources and tools that will help us all be better at using a racial justice lens in doing media and community work
CAAR, Main Street Project & KFAI are very excited to cosponsor this event for community members. We ask that you please RSVP for this event by Thursday, Dec 6 via our public Facebook event page or by emailing CAAR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you on Dec 8!